The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts can enrich our lives. Through our art and design curriculum we aim to stimulate children’s creativity and imagination by providing visual, tactile and sensory experiences that enable them to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and techniques. Children will learn to make informed judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions as well as explore ideas and meanings through the work of a diverse range of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, children will be able to explore the impact it has on contemporary life as well as that of past times and cultures.
Through our art and design curriculum we endeavour to help children at Hackbridge Primary school to develop:
• their ability to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
• their creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities;
• their ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
• their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
• their confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
• their enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
You will find the Subject Story for Art & Design here.
You will find the Progression 'Road Map' for Art & Design here.
You will find the Art & Design curriculum overview for Years 1 to 6 here.
Interesting Websites for children: